5.11.2010

Spokane

Seth and I took a quick trip to Spokane to secure housing for the next year. It came down to two apartments.

The Obvious One:
-washer and dryer
-ac
-2 bathrooms (I've really wanted this since living with a boy)
-dishwasher
-no parking
-it's ugly




The One I Actually Chose:
-no washer or dryer
-no ac
-only 1 bathroom
-no dishwasher
-it's charming and cute and will be more fun to decorate

What? I'm insane? I know. Who needs a dishwasher when they have a 1910 apartment that has character? One other major pro is that it's so close to the hospital that I won't even have to call Seth when I need him to come home. All he'll have to do is look out the window and I'll make S.O.S signals with our kitchen light. It's literally steps from the hospital which will be so nice to actually see my husband during his intern year.



We really liked Spokane and think we're really going to like living there for the next bit. It's smaller than SLC, but has the same kind of feel. The neighborhood area we'll be in reminds me of the Avenues with fewer crack houses. The weekend we were there Spokane had a huge 10k event called Bloomsday. They got a turnout of 50,000 people for a 10K!




We stayed with someone Seth knows and they were awesome and super hospitable. The last night we stayed at a B&B outside of town a ways. The owner was probably the least friendly, least hospitable person we've met in a while but he made really good french toast with crunched up Cinnamon Toast Crunch on top.


Our room. Fancy 'eh? Seth HAS to sleep with a fan or else he thinks he hears weird noises all night long. He requested a fan from the unfriendly owner and had the guy rummaging through closets until he found a fan. Then the fan didn't work.


My mom and dad watched Taft all weekend while we were gone. You get  A LOT done when you don't have kids with you. I forgot!

7 comments:

Herways Go West said...

I think you will love Spokane as well...hey, that picture above the bed. Looks the same. A picture to remind you of the bed you are sleeping in?
Are you taking a fan to Normandy???

La said...

Cute pictures. I love Spokane and I think you guys will really like it. I can't wait to visit you guys up there. I can't wait to see what you do with your cute apartment.

Kathleen said...

Very cute apartment building. I'm sure you will love it.

I love the photo of you running with the statues:)

Taylor Bluth said...

I finally set up a gmail account! Aren't you proud? But I love your apartment. Looks way cute. I'll just know not to visit in the summer. No AC?! Are. You. Crazy. ???? But good news. I'm coming to Palm Springs! Call me sometime :) hope you have fun in Normandy

natalie said...

You are so adventurous and smart. I would have gone with the "obvious" choice and regretted it later. I can't wait to see what you do with your apt!
We didn't have A/C in our first apt. We got a window unit from home depot and I think it worked fine. :)

Colie said...

It sounds like Spokane is a running city. I hear people from Washington are very outdoors-y (not like hicks but like "green" people). Sounds like fun!

Veronica said...

Spokane is a fun city. I remember those running statues from when we visited. Your apartment will be great because you are so talented like your mom and the location is VERY important. Good for you. I had to laugh about the fan. Brady has to have a fan running to sleep too. I am excited for your next adventure. You will both do great.