10.10.2010

USMLE and GRE

Seth and I both had a big week last week. Seth took his final test (Step 3) for his Medical Licensing Exams (aka Boards). The next big test he'll take is before he finishes his residency and it will be to become a board certified anesthesiologist. For now, assuming he passed, he's licensed to practice medicine and write prescriptions.

I took the GRE and found out what I already know; I'm not that smart. On the flip side, I'm not that dumb either. Turns out I'm dumber than about half the people that take the GRE but also smarter than the dumber half of people that take it. Eh. It is what it is. So maybe I'm not the greatest applicant academically, hopefully my other strengths can win me a spot in San Diego State's Social Work Program.

a. Seth is really impressed with my ability to catch things. It is pretty impressive if I do say so myself. A couple BYU games ago he was wishing I was the receiver on the team instead of the actual receiver.
b. Seth says I make a really good tuna sandwich. True again.
c. I am really good at "Friends" trivia.
d. I've never driven the wrong way on a one-way street, unlike some people I'm married to.

Those are all things a social work program looks for right?

6 comments:

La said...

e. You are really pretty
f. You are great writer
g. You have a funny sense of humor


... I think on these strengths you should totally get in anyway. Really.
btw. Whatever will be will be.

natalie said...

Well congrats to you for even facing another test after you were free and clear! I loved school but the thought of taking another test just makes me anxious.

Kathleen said...

ditto on Lara's and Natalie'e comments.
Way to go Shug for setting the goal and going for it!

Herways Go West said...

It's over and well done! and it's true you know, if they only knew how great you are they wouldn't have any need for those silly tests.

Colie said...

+ You actually prepared for the test (versus your SIL who has only been talking about preparing for a month and only really done a few hours of actual studying).
+ You have paid social work experience.
+ You have tons of experience with other cultures.
+ You're Taft's mom.

AND you don't even know your score yet for the analytical writing. That's your strong point and the only thing SDSU is looking at. Perfect!

Abbie O. said...

I am sure you did great, and with social work I think that work experience far outweighs the testing scores (or they should, right!?). I am glad it is over for you, and congrats to Seth as well!