8.31.2009



My younger brother, Michael, a.k.a Pete, joined the U.S. Navy today. (Did you just get a pit in your stomach? 'Cause I did.) Yep, the U.S. Navy. He reports to Basic Training in Illinois in February for 8 weeks and then heads to Monterey, California for Linguistic Training for 18 months.

I have always admired those who serve in the military and work to keep our country safe. It's a whole different feeling when a family member is one of those people. Admiration is still involved, but so is worry. This is what Pete wants to do and I'm going to do my best to be supportive and happy. And I am happy...just nervous too, in the big-sister-nervous-for-her-little-brother sort of way. I'm not going to think about worst-case scenarios (I tend to do that a lot) because that's no way to live. Instead, I'm going to proudly support my brother and all those who willingly and selflessly serve our country.

Below is a picture right before my brother went into the MTC nearly four years ago.


3 comments:

Herways Go West said...

Wow! Today? Wow! That is a huge step. I'm sure he will become a true asset for our nation. Bravo. And keep your chin up.

Unknown said...

oh wow! way to go Michael! I am definitely feeling the admiration and worry too! But he will do great!!!

La said...

Uh. I totally and completely know how you feel.