2.08.2010

Heaven in the Form of Frosting

I was asked to post this recipe, although you can pretty much memorize it in two seconds.

Strawberry Frosting from the Ivy Bake Shoppe

4 1/3 c. powdered sugar (about 1 lb.)
1 stick cold butter
1/2 c. sliced strawberries

Beat powdered sugar and butter on low for 30 seconds. WARNING: it will look like it snowed in your kitchen when you are done. It will also seem like it could never possibly turn into frosting, but amazingly it does. You'll see what I mean when you make it. Then add strawberries and beat until well blended. It is supposed to come out more like a ganache than a frosting, but it's turned out differently many times I've made it. I've noticed when I use defrosted frozen strawberries it turns out more frosting-y than ganache-y. This recipe for the frosting actually goes with the most wonderful strawberry cake you'll ever eat. However, I am usually too lazy to make the strawberry cake and I just make the strawberry frosting for white cake cupcakes.

The Ivy is a great bakery/restaurant in Fort Madison, Iowa  and is just across the Mississippi river from Nauvoo, Il. When my mom was working on the Nauvoo Temple, she and her co-workers ate there ALL the time. When I went there with my family before the dedication we ate there too. The ladies that own it came out with a cookbook and it seriously rocks. You can find it here.

4 comments:

La said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. It is truly my favorite dessert. I just love it. I am excited to go to the ivy on Thursday!

Herways Go West said...

Share your cooking talents and knowledge when you get here!
Looks yummy.

Lindsey said...

This sounds sooooo good!

Jame said...

Heid, i just made 3 batches of this frosting! So yummy and so cool!! Andrew and I were making it together and he kept saying, "there is no way this is a correct recipe" and then suddenly, the frosting consistency appeared! Thanks for sharing!!