11.07.2009

"Simple Living Myth"

I waste a lot of time thinking about how my home looks, how I want it to look, and that having a home that looks like it was ripped from a page in a magazine would make me the happiest person in the world. I know it's vain and superficial, I don't know why I do it, I know it's not that important, but I still do. So what. I came across this little ditty today...I love how google reader suggests new blogs.  Do you think google reader can read our minds?

I think she was speaking to me.



"It’s fun to read magazines that give us tips and ideas, but don’t lose sight of the fact that these magazines are for entertainment, not for new standards of living.
In the pages of a home and garden magazine:
- Closets look more organized because the clothes are all matching neutral colors with plenty of space between the hangers.
- Storage containers are always pretty, and usually expensive.
- There are no tell-tale signs of little kids actually playing.
- The photos are executed by a professional photographer with a crew of assistants, stylists, and editors.
- The stylish furniture and products were borrowed for the shoot, and then later returned to the retailer.
- If the photos are taken in someone’s home, a team of professionals stepped in to rearrange furniture and temporarily take out the clutter.
If it was real, they would never tell you that if you own the right things, you’ll be happier. New boots are not a cure-all, they’re just boots. If it was real, there would be dishes in the sink from dinner, laundry from the baby, and a trail of toys from whatever game was made up today. Don’t think of those things as imperfections, be thankful for all the signs of life within your home." ---www.simplenotebook.org

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a great reminder in so many ways...

So if you head to Dille et Kamille be sure to check out their fabulous labels...I wish I'd bought more. Have so much fun!

Jen and Jared said...

I've been struggling with this a lot lately. I think making no money and living in student housing is making my mind run wild with unrealistic dreams. I really should just be satisfied with getting a dishwasher again someday.

La said...

Did Stephanie just comment on your blog? I love her blog.

And I love this post because I really needed to hear that. My house is so far from being a magazine it is laughable and sometimes I feel like I am failing on the home-maker level. But I hope my kids will remember the things we did, not the stuff we had.

Staci Davies said...

I really really loved this post! Thanks Heid, I needed to hear/read this. We need to talk someday :) I miss ya

Herways Go West said...

Perfect post! There is something in our brains that shout for order, but there is something in reality that demands chaos. It is finding the balance. And that is tough.

Ang said...

Thanks for putting up the button, Heidi! Let's definitely go to lunch when you get back!

Colie said...

Just like the cookbooks - the ice cream is actually mayonnaise and the meat is plywood! What you cook never turns out like the pictures. It's all a ploy, I tell ya.