1.28.2008

Geez...some people!

I have to vent. This is more a vent for Seth than for me, but I just gotta vent about this. Here's the story: Seven months ago Seth was hooked up with a doctor that wanted Seth to do some research and to write a paper. The doctor, we'll call him Dr. Poopy Pants, told Seth to go apply for a Federal Work Study grant so Seth would be paid for his work. Dr. Poopy Pants also told Seth that since Seth would be doing most of the work, he would be able to be listed as the first author on the paper (a REALLY big deal). So, Seth did just that,he went to where ever you apply for one of those things. He filled out these papers and was approved for a federal work study grant. Seven months go by, Seth does research, spends a lot of time writing and editing this paper, really works hard. Then one day he gets an email from this doctor saying, "Am I paying you?" Seth wrote back, "You shouldn't be, I having been getting paid through the Federal Work Study." Turns out, 75% of the money Seth was getting was paid by the government and 25% was supposed to be coming from the doctor. The 25% of the money was withdrawn from grant money the doctor had for another project. Dr. Poopy Pants did not like this one bit. Seth got an email this morning from Dr. Poopy telling Seth that he has to pay him back $590. WHAT?!?! This is crazy for several reasons:

1) All Seth did was fill out the application that this dumb doctor told him to.
2) Somebody must have had to approve the grant before it was given to Seth.
3) How the hell was Seth supposed to know that some of the money would be coming from the doctor and that the doctor wouldn't know about it.
4) The portion that came from the doctor works out to be $2.50/hr. Yes, that's right 2 dollars and 50 cents!!
5) This doctor makes almost HALF A MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR! What Seth owes this guy is one-one thousandth of his annual income.
6) If a medical student is doing a Federal Work Study, wouldn't you assume that that student is poor and probably ends up having to use all of that money, and wouldn't just be saving it for a rainy day, so he probably won't have $590 of it to give back.
7)Seth worked so hard on this project and the LEAST the doctor could do was pay him $2.50 an hour!
8) IT'S NOT EVEN SETH'S FAULT YOU DUMB DR. POOPY PANTS!

Seth is supposed to meet with the assistant dean of the med. school today, so hopefully this will be resolved smoothly. But serioulsy, what a jerk.

8 comments:

La said...

I think this story supports my claim that not all docs are good guys. Seriously, what a jerk. So Seth doesn't get listed as the first author and then has to pay this guy for Seth writing a research paper. Lame. How can a guy who's job is supposed to be "helping" people be so greedy?
Dr. Seth, your still #1 in our book and we think you deserve every bit of that cash.

Melanie Herway said...

That is beyond frustrating, I'm confident it'll all work out though. But still, you have to go to all the trouble of working it out, that's the part that always stinks!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dang, that is a jerky thing to do! Poor Seth. He deserves that $$. Fight it! I hope you guys don't have to pay that dumb doctor a dime.

natalie said...

Words do not describe how jerky he truly is. I can not imagine anyone forcing seth to pay that money, so I'm not worried about that. Just annoyed with that doctor and the hassle! If anything, that dr owes Seth more money!

Unknown said...

WOW!! Sometimes when people get on a power trip you never know what will happen..sorry about this!!

Whitney said...

Hi Heidi! Congrats on the marriage, I'm a little out of the loop! How are you? Your doctor story is really "poopy" I can't believe that is happening, i'm so sorry! I'm so glad I found your blog!!!! I stumbled across it and couldn't be happier! Hope all else is well!!

Colie said...

Alrighty, Mr. Poopy Pants - you've messed with the wrong guy.
Questions: Who is this guy? Does this doc have all of Seth's work already? Is there any written proof of the agreement to assist/write? Who else is working on this project? Who is the paper being published by? Who are this man's superiors?
Hit the ground running and don't let this wanker get away with anything!

Herways Go West said...

It's beyond comprehension. Oh, la, la. Keep us updated. Dr. Poopy Pants is way too nice of a name.