1.24.2008

Letter to the 17 year old version of myself

This was fun thinking back to the way I thought when I was 17. Thanks for the good idea La! Whoever reads this has to do it to themselves too.

Letter to 17 year old Heidi-

1. Go to class for crying out loud! You’re parents will get off your back and you’re mom won’t be brought to tears over your delinquency! Plus, nothing exciting ever happens when you skip class. Just go to class. If you don’t believe this now, you’ll believe me when you are playing basketball in your backyard for the fourth weekend in a row that you’ve been grounded.
2. Don’t dye your hair that purple-y black color. Nate Smith will make fun of you and sing Marilyn Manson songs every time you walk past him. He thinks it’s really funny when he does it.
3. Find those friends who will be true friends to you…and make sure you’re a true friend back.
4. Be yourself. Don’t worry about what other people’s perceptions of you may be. It’s a waste of time worrying about it.
5. Don’t go home every weekend of your Utah State time in Logan.
6. Believe it or not, your life will actually go on after your first heartbreak. Actually, your life is gonna get a lot better.
7. Your life will go on after your second heartbreak too.
8. You TOTALLY luck out on who you marry. You’re going to meet him while you’re dating another guy, but don’t worry, you and that guy will end things pretty quick after meeting your future husband, and then you’ll start dating and life happily ever after!
9. Maybe try sticking to something…like a hobby or a sport.
10. Work on being a better sister.
11. Don’t forget to put oil in the Subaru.
12. Keep doing what you’re doing because your life turns out way better than you think it will, despite all the dumb things you do along the way.

7 comments:

La said...

I love these letters. They are really insightful. I think we had a little too much in common in High School. I had hard time getting my butt to class too. Oh and I even dyed my hair a purple color once. I am glad you survived your heartbreaks and held out for a super nice guy like Seth.

Crawling said...

I think I liked this because I knew you at that age! Fun idea.

Herways Go West said...

I LOVED answer #12. It's so, so, so True!! And this is a 50ish person saying it to a 20ish person!

Colie said...

Can I just copy and paste your letter to my blog and have that count? You should write a book for 17-year-olds it's so good!

Melanie Herway said...

Very funny. I seriously blush from shame with how dramatic high school was and didn't have to be!

RyanandHailee said...

How Funny!!! Why were we so ridiculous in High School I mean seriously! Although it was great fun when we were there it is definately alot more fun looking back at laughing at how it really was! I love it that we really made it after all those things! I am so glad that we are still good friends! Love ya

Bemmer said...

Hey Sugar Dee: I've discovered that you are a true humorist. You could be the next Ann Cannon writing a column for the D-News.