We took a few days to do a bike trip through the Loire Valley in France. The boys happily stayed with Grammie and Pop and probably didn't miss us at all. Seth planned each detail (as usual) and I happily went along with everything and honestly don't think I complained once! I know it's sad that I am proud of that, but usually my ideal vacations are less "active" and more lazy. Seven years later and I'm realizing Seth's idea of vacations are a lot more fun. (Although I am most definitely not opposed to a relaxing, tropical vacation in my future.)
Let me start off by saying that Seth was on Cloud Nine each day. He had a smile on his face non-stop and kept saying how awesome it was. Like, he was literally high on life. I'm really glad we got to go and most importantly that my morning sickness had eased up a bit and allowed be to have energy AND be in good spirits. It would have been really sad (and mean of me) to rain on Seth's parade.
We took the metro downtown to catch the train to Paris. By the way, I had to jump off a few stops early and run to a trash can because of you-know-what. Rough way to start the trip. We made it to Paris and had a short layover before our train left for Tours. It was just long enough to get a sandwich, no time to see any of Paris. We arrived in Tours mid-day, picked up our bikes, and headed to Amboise. We arrived late afternoon and were able to check into a small B&B. The lady who ran the B&B also ran an Italian restaurant so we ate there for dinner and it was the delicious, real Italian pizza kind of pizza. She also made the BEST hot chocolate for us in the next morning.
We headed to the Chenonceau chateau that morning and took the audio tour, which of course I now remember hardly any of because I took too long to blog it. I do remember it being very interesting and soap opera-like (mistresses, disgruntled wives, etc.) The chateau was completely furnished and gave a fantastic picture of how the house was run in it's prime. We spent the night back at Amboise, this time in a fancier hotel, but went back for the same pizza for dinner.
The second full day we rode to Blois, got lost along the way, but happily lost. We didn't go inside the chateau in Blois. The last day we rode to Chambord chateau (the biggest one we saw) and then back to Blois to catch our train.
We rode about 90 miles over the three days which was totally do-able. It was nice to take our time, enjoying the quaint towns we rode through, taking long breaks for lunch, etc. I think one of my favorite things about the trip was having endless, uninterrupted conversations with each other.
5 comments:
First of all, you really lucked out with the fabulous weather. Now I need to put that on the 'to do' list for sure. Come back and do it again and let me and Tom just come along for the ride. Good mark for Seth planning such an awesome trip!
Jake would be so jealous! As am I...looks fabulous!!
What an amazing trip. Great photos and you have a wonderful travel agent husband! Loved the post.
Loved this post!! I want to go back to France! I loved Loire. Valley!
What a perfect vacation. Can Seth plan my trips for me too?
Post a Comment