1.12.2014

Europe 2013: Belgium


For the last few times we've visited Seth's parents, we've thought it would be our last, figuring his dad would be retiring and moving back to the States before we'd have a chance to visit again. This time truly was the last. Seth's parents moved out of the home they lived in since 1989. I know Seth is glad we really were able to make it back "one last time."

We arrived to Brussels in the morning, but it was the middle of the night for us. Seth, Luke, and I all took naps but Taft was excited to be around his cousins and aunts and uncles and stayed up ALL day long. He adjusted to the time difference the quickest out of all of us. Nicole (Seth's sister) and Jed were finishing up their European vacation/honeymoon but we overlapped for about a day or two. Seth's other sister, Natalie, and her family overlapped with us for about a week. They had been in Belgium for 3 months! It was really fun for the boys to spend time with their cousins that unfortunately they rarely get to see.

First day in Belgium. Uncle Jed built these kids the COOLEST fort in the forest behind Seth's parents' house. We were sad to have only overlapped with them for a day or two. 

A really fun park. Wish I remembered the name??

In Leuven, heading the the official Herway family restaurant, Domus. 

Lukie and I took a morning walk into Sterrebeek one morning when we were awake waaaaay earlier than everyone else. 

The way to Sterrebeek. It was a creepy/pretty foggy morning. 

Jet lagged Taft about to enjoy his waffle from Stokkel market. I have to admit, I never thought waffles were all that great, but THESE ones are amazing!

One night Anita, Natalie, and I went downtown to a restaurant to get dessert and play cards. That's a major difference in Europe, you can sit for HOURS in a restaurant, taking up a table and it doesn't bother the servers one bit!

Excited for the "Sumway"
On a day when I simply couldn't get out of bed, Seth, Anita, and the boys got out to some sights. This is at Beersel Castle.

Also without me, they checked out/sampled til they were sick at the Neuhaus chocolate factory

Gaasbeek Castle

Gaasbeek Castle with Grammie
Downtown Brussels with these hooligans
While the Portugals were still in town with us we all headed to Brugge for the day. It was SUCH a pretty day there. This is also where everyone had the best frites in all of Belgium. I was feel queasy so didn't try any, but everyone raved about them. 



Cute Brynnie Boo trying to get her loose tooth out with a chocolate wheel


 



Antwerp




Breendonk Concentration Camp. Seth's family has lived in Brussels since the 80s, and his mom just learned there was a concentration camp here. It was pretty incredible to visit. It's such a fascinating time in history because it's just so unfathomable. It was a very sobering day, but I'm so glad we were able to visit it.


I didn't take any pictures of it, but we were in Brussels for their "No Car" Sunday. People could ride their bikes all over downtown with no cars. We all headed out for that and it was a lot of fun, although some cars didn't seem to get the memo. 

And I have to mention AGAIN how much Anita, Tom, and Seth stepped in while I was in the throws of terrible morning sickness. It was such a bummer to be sick there, but it was also a blessing to have so much help with the boys. Plus, the boys absolutely loved spending time with Grammie and Pop.


5 comments:

Herways Go West said...

This was of course a fun post for me to read. To relive our adventures and to get your perspective. I was sad you felt so bad, but you buoyed up plenty of times so it was still fun every day. Good job!
Yep, that concentration camp was a surprise. And it was worth the visit for sure. I had forgotten about our gorge at the Neuhouse factory. I have to avoid that place. Boy, that jetlag is no fun. And Taft still trying to smile with his waffle. so cute.

Melanie Herway said...

Fun pictures!! I think we had two or three "last" trips, but we are so sad we didn't make it one last time before they moved. I'm dying to get back now.

Taylor Bluth said...

I envy your life

Kathleen said...

What a great trip for all of you, even though you were sick for a lot of it.
There are so many great photos! I especially love the one of Taft with the waffle. I can just feel his tiredness coming through that photo:)
I'm with Tates....I envy your life.

natalie said...

I'm so glad we got to overlap. It was especially fun to see our kids get along so well. Was that the park in Leuven? If so, then it's Kessel-lo.
Thanks for putting up with mom and me and our amazing card game we made up! haha