8.20.2011
This Post is About Poop...Don't Say I Didn't Warn You
About three weeks ago I started a 3-day potty training program. It promised if I put myself and child under house-arrest for 3 days,while watching the potty trainee like a hawk, use the correct terminology, and stay positive then the program would work.
The program was working wonderfully and I couldn't believe that it went so well! Since the first day Taft has not had one wet accident-not even at night. Taft is doing so well with numero uno and is always super proud of himself when he goes. HOWEVER, number two is NOT happening and I want to punch myself in the face. UGH.
We googled "my toddler is afraid to poop on the potty" and all we got was a whole bunch of other parents in the same boat with no answers. One lady said her 11 year old still has issues (Please bless that isn't us in 9 years)
He hasn't worn diapers or pull ups since the beginning of training...but we find ourselves cleaning some really gross undies every other day. Taft has gone in his unders, in the tub, in a jacuzzi, and on Seth (yes, it was very traumatic for all involved). As far as bribes/rewards go we've tried candy, stickers, ice cream, toys, a Rolls Royce, and The Moon. He doesn't want any of it if it means he has to poop first.
Help. Us.
p.s. Don't say maybe he isn't ready, because he is. (Remember, he has no problems whatsoever going peepers.) He knows when he needs to go, he knows where it's supposed to go, he just WON'T.
p.p.s I haven't talked about poop more in my entire life than I have in the last 3 weeks.
p.p.p.s Aren't you glad I blogged about this?
Posted by Heidi at 8:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




13 comments:
All I can say is hang in there, as you know you had similar hang ups but you came through for us and it didn't take until you were 11:)
well sorry I have no advice, but you made me lol. only because I know I'll be in your shoes in a few months. good luck! P.s. i like the little personal note your mom left :)
Hahahaha I had a lot of laughing out loud moments. Thank you for that. I'm sorry Taft isn't cooperating.. more like pooperating. Man, I'm funny. hahaha keep the posts coming.
I don't have any advice but I LOVED this post. Like a lot.
I ditto Lara. Wish we had some magic pill to give him. I wish he would have realized what a deal he could have had with that Rolls Royce. Dang!
Rachel was afraid of it too. We had a bad cycle of constipation/diarrhea (sorry for the lovely words) because she would hold it in. We just tried catching her when she needed to go, kept her in the bathroom and kept the bribes flowing! Potty training is awful isn't it? Oh and one more word of advice...throw away the underwear. It's worth the extra few dollars to buy more.
Oh potty training...
So we did the same thing with Claire starting back in April. She's never had an accident at night and seemed home free in a few days. Then she started regressing, regularly pooping and even peeing her pants. Sometimes she'd do well, sometimes she wouldn't. SO AGGRAVATING! In fact, I think she pooped her pants at Pete's wedding luncheon. Lovely.
A couple of weeks ago I was flipping through an old parenting magazine and landed on an article about potty training. It didn't give any new tips but it did say that the majority of kids take an average of 4-6 months to be 100% potty trained. This made me feel SO much better, because it seems like everyone else was bragging about their kids never having an accident after the first day.
It's been 3 months, and Claire goes in the potty about 90% of the time now, sometimes completely on her own without having to be reminded. But, she pooped her pants yesterday... So, the moral of the story- just hang in there. It is so so hard to be positive all the time and it is so gross cleaning up poop constantly, but give him a few weeks (or months, sorry!) and he'll get there. Good luck!
Poop is funny. And I am not looking forward to this stage.
Supernanny. She's a genius!
hahahaha!!!
just don't give up. keep a positive attitude and eventually it will rub off on him.
Like Melanie I also throw away underwear. poopy underwear makes me want to barf.
Henry had the same problem. We finally broke down and bought him one of those little potties (the kind you have to clean afterward) and it was like magic! I guess he just needed a little stepping stone :)
The little girl I used to nanny had issues with pooping in the toilet. She knew exactly when she had to go and would ask to have a diaper put on. She was afraid it would hurt if she pooped on the toilet!
All it took was for her little sister (2 years younger sister) to poop in the potty first...and then she realized it wasn't so bad. So if you do the math...she was nearly 5. Hang in there! It will happen...even if Luke has to do it first! Although I hope for your sake that is not the case!
Ugh. I'd rather give birth than potty train! We dealt with poop issues with Madeline. Shed hold it in because she didnt want to go. Our ped called it functional constipation. He told us to use Miralax. This softens things up and makes it easier to go until he realizes it doesn't hurt and he gets used to going. We kept Madeline on it for a good six months to keep her regular and she's a lot better now. Good luck!
Post a Comment