6.01.2011

Five Years Later and Folk Life is Still Living

Memorial Day weekend five years ago, Seth and I took our first vacation together as a dating couple. Kind of a big deal, because on vacations is when you find out if you like the person more or you realize they bug the living daylights out of you. Lucky for us we decided we liked each other more.

We were going to Seth's BFF's wedding in Seattle. We drove in Seth's little Corolla (which we still have and will probably have until it dies) with me in the front, Seth's roommate Jason Kim in the back, along with a former roommate and mission pal Ryan Simmons, and an ex-girlfriend* of Seth's (another story).

Jason Kim, Seth and Me, Seattle 2006


We stayed at Ryan Simmons' parents UH-MAZING home on Bainbridge Island. We had clam chowda on the pier, toured Seattle, got free food at PF Changs, went to Jerry's wedding, and stumbled upon a huge hippie/gypsy punk/woodland creature music festival called Folk Life.
Ryan's parents backyard on Bainbridge Island

This groovy guy asked me to folk dance. I did.

The day of Jerry and Jen's wedding (this is Folklife, not the wedding) hence Seth's tux.

My favorite picture of the trip. (That's Ryan in the sweater)



Fast forward to Memorial Day weekend 2011. It was Friday afternoon and as far as I was concerned Seth and I were going to go on date to a restaurant we'd been meaning to try and our friends were going to watch our boys that night. It was mid-afternoon Friday and Seth told me that a couple we know wanted to stop by and say goodbye since we're moving shortly. Seth went downstairs to let them into our apartment. When Seth came back to our apartment with the couple, it wasn't the couple but MY PARENTS! I was shocked and confused. The my mom said, "We're here to watch Taft while you guys take a weekend trip!" I looked at Seth in total disbelief because we never do surprises like this, but it was true. Seth had arranged for my parents to come watch Taft while Luke, Seth, and I went to Seattle for a 5 year anniversary celebration of that trip while we were dating. I couldn't believe my parents had driven 11 hours to come watch Taft and I couldn't believe Seth pulled this off without me knowing a single bit of it!

We took off late Friday afternoon. We rolled into Seattle and opted out of clam chowder this time and instead had some VERT tasty Japanese in what looked to be a questionable hole-in-the-wall restaurant, but it was SO GOOD. We took the ferry to Bainbridge to stay at the same place we stayed 5 year prior and got settled for the night. Saturday we took the ferry back to Seattle and spent the day at the Folklife Festival. The people watching at this event is THE best. The musicians are extremely talented and it's just a fun thing to be a part of.
The ferry to Bainbridge

Performers

A brick of fries

Bainbridge

We finished the evening having the same meal we did 5 years prior as well (at PF Changs) but this time it wasn't free. Darn.

It was so great to have a little weekend with my permanent boyfriend (and Lukie too). I told him this surprised earned A LOT of points that will last quite a while for him. :)

*Seth would probably dispute this claim that she was a "girlfriend" but they did date for a bit.

P.S. The only thing that would have made this trip better was is I was 20 lbs lighter like I was 5 years ago.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

What an amazing surprise!!! Seriously one of the sweetest things I have ever heard :) I remember hearing about that trip...can't believe it was already five years ago :)

Jen and Jared said...

I'm so glad we could be a part of this amazing memory & that you guys had time to stop by on your anniversary weekend. By the by, was your folk life experience between our sealing and the reception? I love that Seth has his tux on. No wonder he was so sweaty by the end of the night. He pretty much danced all day.

ambs* said...

Heidi-20 lbs? are you kidding me? You would vanish into thin air. you are soooo tiny! congrats on your surprise 5 year trip! what a sweet guy to plan that for you!

Abbie O. said...

SO FUN!! I LOVE the folk life festival, best people watching EVER!! I am jealous of your vacay and you look fabulous as ususal. I can't believe how big Luke is getting. I really think the Panda suit could have been a great addition to the festival...maybe on your 10 year dating anniversary you could swing that. :) Miss you guys, let us know when you need some visitors!!

Herways Go West said...

Big huge good marks for your parents....and for Seth managing to pull it off. Darn impressive. Did you guys make it through that whole brick of fries???
I can see why you love that picture of Ryan and Jason...it is a classic!

Kathleen said...

We loved being a part of the wonderful surprise that Seth planned! I LOVE GOOD SURPRISES! It was so great to see the shock on your face when we showed up at your door. You need to know that Seth planned this almost a year ago. VERY IMPRESSIVE!
We loved spending one on one time with Taft. He was SO MUCH FUN!

Melanie Herway said...

I ran into Ryan a couple weeks ago and he told me about this trip...glad you had a great time!!!

Nanette said...

Um, hello, skinny jeans already? You have nothing to complain about! I think you look awesome.

natalie said...

What a great surprise. It looks like a fun trip! I'm very impressed with my brother. :)

Pew Family said...

Seriously? Like everyone else said. Your a teeny peanut! You look the exact same as you did 5 years ago!! Beautiful! What a fun trip you guys had! Very thoughtful hubby you have!!
P.s. I never told you way to go on your triathlon! Awesome Job!!