The other day I was in Wal Mart and our cashier was taking an interest in Taft, you know, because he's just so darn cute. The guy asked what his name was and I told him.
Wal Mart employee: "Taff? Like Taffy?
Me: Blank stare with internal dialogue saying, "Yep. Just like Taffy. We're thinking of naming our next baby Toots. Like Tootsie Roll."
Me: "No, like the president, William Howard Taft, with a T."
Wal Mart employee: Blank stare
Don't get me wrong here, I didn't even know there was a President Taft until after we even chose the name. If you were like me, embarrassingly uneducated about the Presidents of the United States, then here's some Billy Taft trivia for you:
1. He didn't like being president.
2. He later became a Supreme Court Justice (the only president to do so) and really liked that job.
3. He was so fat that he got stuck in the bathtub at the White House.
And another story...
We were having dinner at the hospital the other night (cuz it's free). A old couple was at the table next to us. I could tell the old lady was looking at Taft and I thought she was admiring him so I smiled at her and told Taft to say hi. Taft smiled at the lady but she didn't smile back. Instead:
Old Lady: "He needs his nose wiped"
Me: "Oh, thanks"I look at him and he has nothing on his face whatsoever. But I wipe anyway.
Old Lady: Leans over to her husband and does a whisper-yell (cuz she's old) "She didn't even get it"
Geez lady. Sorry I didn't get rid of the imaginary snot that is causing you to lose your appetite and therefore feel it necessary to tell a random stranger to wipe her son's nose.
People are weird.
9.10.2010
Taffy-Our Child's Namesake
Posted by Heidi at 1:13 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



11 comments:
Hahahahaha. That's funny.
I agree with Tates...HAHAHAHA! so funny:) I love the way you tell your stories.
Ha! That story about the old lady cracked me up! People are definitely very weird.
I love your stories too. You have a flair! Plus, Taft knew not to smile at the cranky old lady...good for him!
Well, at least he didn't smile till you told him to....(that's what I meant to type in the last post)
Golden!
I like this story. People are weird. I hope I don't end up being like that old lady.
(p.s. I am glad you cleared up that namesake thing because I always thought Bumski was named after someone's bum.) :)
Heidi, that's soooo funny, but so sad for that cranky senior citizen. Didn't she see the adorable Taft behind the imaginary snot?
I never knew much about W.H. Taft either. I did hear about the bathtub incident though. Funny what sticks to the old brain cells.
Yes! I am tired of strangers telling me weird things related to my kids. It is usually old people or people at wal mart too!!
I thought you got Taft from a different president... Ezra Taft Benson. So with that track record I think Taft is going to be a president of some sort. :)
Too funny! I had some crazy lady today tell me over and over again that I need to "check" my baby in my sling...she's had five babies.
It's also the rumor that Pres. Taft invented the 7th inning streth, which is a national baseball tradition. What a heritage!
Post a Comment