7.18.2010

The Prettiest Place on Earth and The Case of the Stomach Bug

We went camping in Glacier National Park this weekend. Seth had Thursday and Friday off so we loaded up the car and headed four hours to Glacier. In my opinion, Glacier is the prettiest place I have ever seen.  We took a hike Friday up to a place called Hidden Lake. We had to hike on snow to get there, but it was really fun and really pretty.

waiting for hot dog dinner


really enjoying cream cheese and bagel






being goofy


the way up to Hidden Lake

the view at Hidden Lake



throwing rocks into Lake McDonald


Lake McDonald



We stayed in a cute little cabin (think tent with wooden walls and a door) , because it wasn't much more than paying for a camping spot and we'd actually have mattresses and a door to keep us safe from bears The campground had flushing toilets and hot showers. I decided this is my way to camp.

We had a lovely time the first day, that is until things took a turn for the worse and the family came down with a bad case of the throw ups.


Here's a run-down of the trip:

Hours 1-24: Perfect.

Hour 25: Bumski throws up in an ice cream shop. On the counter. Seth books it out of the shop with Bumski to clean him up and probably because he's embarrassed. I stay and clean up my child's vomit while people look totally disgusted.

Hours 26-28: Bumski throws up a few more times. Poor kid. We put him to bed.

Hours 28-32: Bumski tosses and turns. We're all just trying to sleep.

Hour 33: I throw up.

Hours 33-36: Bumski tosses and turns more. Seth can't sleep.

Hour 37: We decide it's time to pack up. I throw up two more times before getting in the car.

Hours 38-42: We drive home. Stopping about every 30 minutes for me to throw up.

Hours 43-48: We're home. I'm in bed. Bumski feels better, Seth is exhausted, but they go to the park.


p.s. Sorry that I feel it's necessary to blog about throwing up. I guess I'm just trying to keep it real.

7 comments:

La said...

Bummer about the throw up but the trip looks like it was totally worth it. I mean those pictures! Amazing. You look like you are posing in front of a backdrop. I think you might need a "do-over".

Anonymous said...

So sorry you were all sick! I always feel the need to blog about barfing too- probably because it is so traumatic for me! (I'm a wuss). Don't you hate the public toddler barfing? Very embarrassing. It looks beautiful up there! Glad you had a good time overall.

Melanie Herway said...

That really IS beautiful. WOW!!! Having a stomach bug when pregnant is the WORST! I hope you are feeling better.

Herways Go West said...

So we are booked and going on your recommendation! Thanks! We are staying on Lake McDonald (the creek really)...I guess we should do the hike to hidden lake?
I'm excited. And we are leaving out the throw up scene if at all possible. However, I could go into the ice cream store and tell them I am the grandparent of the throw up kid and that should get me a free ice cream? or maybe a fast boot out of there! (Seth's idea by the way)

natalie said...

Sorry you guys felt bad at the end, but that place does look amazing. I love the cabin. Take me there!
Isa sees the pics of Taft and keeps pointing to him, nodding her head, and saying "bebe! bebe!"

Colie said...

Bumski's gonna hear this story a lot ... :)
Hope you feel better!

Tamara Jacobs said...

hey heidi.
i love your blog.
sorry you guys got sick on your trip.
congrats on your next baby due!
that's so exciting.
love your pictures too:)