Egypt was absolutely incredible. I don't really know what my expectations were, but they were exceeded!
We flew in to Cairo and stayed at a hotel right at the airport since we spending less than 24 hours in Cairo. We spent the morning at the Pyramids. It was amazing! We headed back to the airport when we were done and spent the rest of the week in Luxor.
 |
| Climbing the pyramids- this gives a good idea of the size of the bricks (?) used to build the pyramids. HOW did they do it?! |
 |
| Coolest thing ever. |
 |
| He's balancing a pallet full of bread on his head, while riding a bike. |
 |
| Our sleepy traveler. |
 |
| The driver at Hatshepsut Temple let the boys drive. Never would be allowed at a tourist site in the US! |
 |
| Decoding the Hieroglyphics |
 |
| Hatshepsut Temple |
After Hatshepsut Temple we went to Valley of the Kings to see the tombs where pharaohs were buried in elaborate tombs with their treasures. Their treasures are of course no longer there, but the elaborate drawings/paintings/hieroglyphics were still very visible, some even vibrant in color. It gave a great peek into what it must have looked like in it's prime. We weren't allowed to take photographs, otherwise I would have taken a ton! We did see King Tuts mummy as well. Crazy.
 |
| We stayed at an incredible resort in Luxor. An infinity pool right on the Nile!! |
 |
| A whole lot of Fanta was consumed on this trip. It really is much better in Europe, and Egypt apparently. |
 |
| Sadly tourism is really down in Egypt right now. The resort had 2 infinity pools with this play structure attached. (A adults only quiet pool as well) Since we were the only kids there, we would have to ask for the water to be turned on. I felt guilty the whole time, feeling sorry that this hotel was open for pretty much just us and what seemed like a handful of other couples throughout the week. The staff was so hospitable and seemed to run the hotel as if were full and not just for a 9% of occupancy. I hope things can turn around for them in the near future, although it definitely doesn't seem likely. |
 |
| More Fanta! |
 |
| Billiards on the Nile anyone? |
 |
| How about a game of chess then? |
 |
| Jonah and Luke were in high demand for picture taking. We would have to eventually tell people no several times and start walking away. |
 |
| Seth visited Egypt in 2005 with his parents. Legend has it that if you walk around this statue 6 times, it will bring you good luck/fortune in love. Seth walked around it for himself and for his best friend, Jared Mulholland during his 2005 trip. Seth and I went on our first date the month after he walked around this and we were married later that year. Jared married his wife 5 months after the good luck charm was initiated. Must be legit! |
 |
| Luke took this picture and I love it! Cool light and shows the hieroglyphics so well. |
 |
| More paparazzi |
 |
| We attempted a Felucca ride, but there was NO wind. We switched to a motorized boat and the boys loved it. Jonah however was quite a terror on this ride and ended up intentionally throwing his very beloved binky overboard. He didn't understand why we couldn't get it back. |
 |
| A moment of happiness for Jonah. He wasn't so much a terror as just a baby with no fear! This is the top deck of the boat and you can see there isn't much to stop a baby from going over. |
We feel so lucky to have been able to take this trip with Grammie and Pop. Breathtaking sights, a relaxing and luxurious accommodations, and really fantastic company! A once in a lifetime experience for sure.
4 comments:
I love that you are catching up on this! So many pictures I haven't seen!
Your trip to Egypt was incredible. I'm so glad you got to go and had such a fantastic trip. I'm also so glad you were in Egypt instead of Brussels at this time. Thank you for documenting your trip so well.
Egypt was a dream indeed. Wasn't it great to have the resort to ourselves? (But like you, I hope it does pick up) Great weather, great company, lots of fun. Glad Seth walked around that monument! Thanks for the documentation. We will have to reminisce from time to time!
Trip of a lifetime! What a great experience! I had no idea the stones of the pyramid were so big!! I have never been and Seth has been... 3 times now? How did that happen? No fair. haha.
I want to go stay at that same hotel! Amazing and I can imagine it made the time in Egypt even better.
Post a Comment