12.24.2011

Our Christmas Season So Far...

A recap of our Christmas Season in pictures. They are mostly all phone pictures, hence the poor quality. However, I have to document this stuff because without the blog I wouldn't be able to remember hardly anything from the last 5 years of my life.

Balboa Park Christmas Festival with friends

Balboa Park has some really gorgeous buildings. If I had a nice camera and actual artistic talent then I could prove it with pictures, but this will have to do.




SeaWorld has a snow area the month of December. The kids all LOVE it. We've gone a few times just for the snow.

San Diego's version of Temple Square. 
Yes, Taft has a mohawk/strip of hair down the middle of his head. It started out as a joke but then we left it like that for over a week. Doesn't he look like he would get into all kinds of trouble? I felt like he was naughtier with this haircut.

Christmas Party with friends from our ward and neighborhood. This was the same night as Seth's work party. We were going to try to make both, but in the end we just decided to do the one. We had a great time and Taft played with our friends train table for 2 1/2 hours straight.



Ward Christmas Party. The primary did a Nativity play and it was sooooo adorable. Taft was sad he couldn't be a sheep. He'll be in nursery for a full year more, bummer! That's Taft's friend as the star. When he saw her he said "Sadie's a Starfish!!"

Taft and the second Santa Claus of the season. Obviously, he's a little unsure about Santa. I think he knows he's supposed to like Santa but isn't sure why.  He's been very consistent in telling Santa and others that he wants a helicopter for Christmas.

And Luke....well he hated Santa.
Boat Parade in San Diego Bay (sad picture I know. Doesn't look like much of  a parade does it?)

Zoo Lights at San Diego Zoo

Christmas Parade and Tree Lighting on Orange Ave. Yeah, the boys are wearing pjs. It was kinda late and cold.

Santa arrives at Ferry Landing. Taft with "Puckerman" hair cut (Glee fans?)

Christmas outfits, Sunday before Christmas. Grammie and Pop, your Christmas money bought them each a toy, but also these outfits. The first time I dressed them the exact same. I loved it!

I actually think Taft was trying to be nice here. Brothers....

Tree Lighting on Orange


More Zoo Lights
I love the small community feel of Coronado, especially for the holidays. At the beginning of December Santa rode across the bay to Coronado on a ferry. Later that night there was a light parade and Santa rode down Orange on a firetruck and lit the Christmas tree. It all had a very small, town feel and I loved it. 

I'm surprised we've fit in as much as we have because Seth's has a very busy work schedule this month. We weren't sure he was going to get Christmas off, but he does! He's been at work since yesterday around 6:30 a.m. and won't get home until about noon today, but at least he'll be home for Christmas Eve festivities and all day Christmas.  

I posted this to Facebook, but I think it's worth re-writing here. Yesterday while baking cookies: 

Taft: "What are you making Mom?"
Me: "Cookies!"
Taft: "OH! I LOVE cookies!"
Me: "I'm making some for Santa because he's coming TOMORROW night!"
Taft: "Ah man, I don't WIKE Santa Cwaus ANY. MORE."
(eats a cookie)
Taft: "I don't WIKE Santa Cwaus."

He also went on to say that he didn't like reindeer, decorations, or presents. Then, he broke a snow globe on the kitchen floor (on accident). I don't know if Taft is really advanced for his age and knows the Santa thing is just smoke and mirrors, or if he's the Grinch. 

Despite the warm-ish weather, lack of snow, and presence of palm trees, it does feel like Christmas. I'm so excited for Christmas morning. Santa told me what he's giving Taft and I think he's going to loooove it.

Also, I love that Christmas is on a Sunday. I'm really looking forward to hearing the story of the Savior's birth and singing Christmas hymns. It's such a better way to spend Christmas as opposed to staying in pajamas until 4 and eating nothing but chocolate and cinnamon rolls all day.

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas! 

5 comments:

La said...

WOW! You guys have fit like a ton of stuff in. I think Coronado is the cutest town in CA. I am sure that they would do right by Christmas.

And, obviously, Taft is advanced for his age. Duh.

Colie said...

Do they have the ice skating rink at the Hotel Del this year again? I loved Christmas in San Diego. Snow schmoe. Sea World has enough for me. :)

Kathleen said...

Yeah for Coronado Christmas! We're excited to be a part of it in a few days! You have had quite the festive holiday even with minimal snow.
I LOVE the photo of the boys in their matching sweaters...SO CUTE!!!!!

Herways Go West said...

OK, you get the prize for best place to celebrate Christmas! Wow, what stunning weather and what fun things to do!
The boys do look cute in their matching outfits! thanks for the picture. And I'm sure Taft was just trying to be the best big brother ever....and I think he accomplished it, b/c he got Luke to cry. Isn't that their job??? Actually it's the job of all siblings to each other....just gotta have it or life is way too dull.

Melanie Herway said...

Wow. Can we come to CA next Christmas??