5.05.2008

No fair.


I came to an awful realization over the weekend and it hit me even harder as I was driving to work today. This is my first summer as a full-fledged, 9 to 5, working class adult. I'm a tad devastated about the whole thing. I realized this over the weekend when I realized that most people had just finished their finals and were starting their Summer of Fun 2008.

The past two summers have been some of the best summers of my life!! The summer Seth and I were dating we went to Seattle together for his BFFs wedding, then to Coronado to meet the Herway fam, then to Hebgen Lake, then to San Francisco with my family, then back to San Francisco to watch Seth compete in an Ironman competition. (I think that was the order they went in). Then the first summer we were married we went to Havasupai, Greece, Italy, Germany, France, Belgium, and England. I know that I was VERY lucky to do all this fabulous things, but I think I got a bit spoiled because now I expect summers like this every summer!

I also have been very nostalgic today thinking about spending summers at my grandma's in St. George and going to the pool everyday and eating THE BEST lunches afterwards.

Now that I have to be a grown up and be responsible and Seth has to study for boards, all we get is a measly (sp?) 4 days of summer bliss. I'm at work right now and all I can think about is how bad I wish I was going to the pool everyday and eating Otter Pops. I can see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel though, because eventually I will have kids and I will be able to introduce them to the wonderful world of summers at the pool eating Otter Pops all day and playing night games at night.

10 comments:

La said...

Aw, Summer...
Sometimes it stinks to be an adult, huh? Well, at least you get Hebgen Lake this summer. And guess what? I will be really fat in a swimming suit. Now that is not something I am looking forward to. However, we do have endless supply of otter pops at our house so if you guys ever get a craving you know what to do.

Unknown said...

you have had some very fun summers :) Being a mom really will be the best though...we get to watch our kids find all the wonderful things in life :)

Herways Go West said...

Life is really weird. Here is my question. When you were at the pool eating your otter pops, did you really appreciate it? Sometimes it's in the 20/20 hindsight that you get the full appreciation! I find it hard sometimes to enjoy the journey, always thinking about the future. Not to disagree that working full time through the summer is one heck of an adjustment. It's horrid in fact. Luckily, as you said, as a mom you get to recapture the moments somewhat! Any mom that prefers the school year over the summer times should have their head examined.

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. Every year I look forward to summer, then I realize I just get to work all day...just like every other day. It's not quite the same when you get older. Oh well, like you said, hopefully someday we can live through our kids :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh it sounds like you had a way fun summer last year! I swear I had jobs in the summer ever since I was 17, I dont know why I was so dumb to do that. Your lucky to have been able to avoid being a grown up for so long! HA! Your so cute!

Ang said...

I also look forward to the days when summer will actually mean something again and I can take my kids to the pool everyday!

natalie said...

I found working through summer so unbearable that I quit one month before Bryn was due even though I didn't have any reason besides just plain old being sick of it!

natalie said...

P.S. I heard you went camping. Where are the pictures?? :)

Nanette said...

AMEN! This will be my first summer ever with a job. And a full-time one at that! Who ever though TWO WEEKS of vacation a year was enough? They must've been really boring.

Staci Davies said...

It does stink to be all grown up, here I am all the sudden taking care of two kids!!! Life comes at ya fast! Those were the days....hah! No, it just keeps getting better - besides like you said it gets to the point where we get to go with our kids to the pool and pretend to be one again. Soon to come?