5.15.2008

My New Fave Craze


Bikram Yoga. The hardest thing I think I've done. First off, I'm not very flexible so yoga is hard anyway, but when you turn the heat up to 110 degrees and ad 40% humdity, well that's just insane! I started going to Bikram Yoga (also known as Hot Yoga) last week and have gone three times since. It's awesome, everyone is in as little as possible and sweats like crazy. You wouldn't think it'd be that hard but it is. My first day they gave me a little orientation..."Make sure to breathe in and out through your nose so you don't pass out." "If you feel like you are going to faint or throw up, just kneel down, or lay on your back." "Have fun!" Knowing there was a very good possibility of puking or passing out, I was a little nervous. I didn't barf or pass out, and ended up loving the class! It's 90 minutes long and at the end you feel such a sense of accomplishment and you feel like you lost 5 lbs. in water weight. The only bummer is it's way expensive. I signed up for an intro. pass which was super cheap, but a regular pass is like $300 a month! It's pretty clever of them to charge you a super cheap intro package, get you to absolutely love it, then charge you an arm to continue! I highly recommend trying Bikram if you already haven't. There's one in Sugarhouse and Sandy.

7 comments:

RyanandHailee said...

Sounds ummmm..... Fun but I really might pass out or barf! I haven't worked out since beofre I was prego! Maybe I should get my butt in gear! hah

Herways Go West said...

I love yoga, and I was amazed as well how hard it is...BUT to do it in hot, humid conditions I think I'll pass. Sound like doing yoga in the yard in Virginia in the summer time. No thanks! Oh, and my version of 'hot yoga' is hot-flash yoga! Same thing, sweat and feel like you are going to puke!

La said...

I am so glad that you love it!!! I can't wait until I can join you.

natalie said...

Wow that is crazy. It doesn't sound fun to me (sorry), but I'm glad you found something you love! That is always exciting. I do love going to classes though. It's so much more fun than on your own.

Melanie Herway said...

That sounds crazy. I almost pass out in steam rooms...I'd definitely pass out doing hot yoga. Way to go for making it through!

Unknown said...

I love finding new ways of exercising :) I would love to try it but probably better to wait till after i pop ;)

Nanette said...

Heidi! I'm so excited that you do Bikram! What studio do you go to? I've been going to the sugarhouse studio for a little over a year. It sucks how expensive it is though, huh! I cleaned the studio last year in exchange for a free pass, so if you love it, I can see if they need any cleaners...