4.14.2008

Beauty Queens



I stole these pictures off Lara's blog because the pictures I took didn't turn out well at all. Anyway, Taylor was nominated to be a candidate for Prom Queen at her school. Our very handsome nephew, Zane, escorted Taylor down to the stage at the Prom Assembly. Aren't they both beautiful?! I sure think so.

The assembly was pretty funny for a couple of reasons. First of all, I realized that as much as Taylor seems to like attention around the family (she's definitely the comic relief in our family), she does NOT like attention by way of the entire student body. All the candidates (maybe 15 girls and 15 guys) had to do a choregraphed (how the heck do you spell that?) dance. Taylor is the bomb soccer player but dancing is not her thing, nor is it mine or anyone else in my family. She did a good job but I could tell by her facial expression that she was DYING the whole time. Second, I realized that high school is so retarded! I remember thinking that high school was going to be the highlight of my entire life when I was in middle school. I remember seeing my friends older siblings going to football games, dances, getting nominated for stuff, and thinking it was the coolest thing in the entire world. I can say all of this because Taylor never reads my blog and if she did she probably wouldn't care anyway. I will have to rememeber that when I'm a mom of a teenager, which will be in like 18 years or something, that when you're in high school this kind of stuff is a really big deal even if it seems completely ridiculous. Taylor didn't win and luckily she couldn't have cared any less. If I had been nominated for P.Q. in high school (I wasn't) I probably would have cried if I lost because I was dramatic like that.

It was just funny to be back at a high school assembly with a totally different perspective.

2 comments:

Staci Davies said...

It's fun being all "mature and grown up now"....looking back and thinking of all those stupid things we did. You're right it seemed like all those little social things were all that mattered in life. Congrats Taylor! She looks so pretty

La said...

I agree, they are both beautiful and two of my most favorite people. I, as you know, was surprised how shy Taylor was at the assembly. Actually the first thing I told Dan about ther day was that Tates seemed kinda embarrassed by all the attention. He didn't even believe me. :)
I agree that High School seemed important but was lame. The thing I notice was that now that I have daughters all high school boys look like dirt bags.