4.14.2008

Why?




My last blog brought back another memory. This memory was also brought back at the aforementioned assembly. This is where one of the most embarrassing experiences of my life took place. It was early spring of 2001. Student Body Elections were coming up and for some reason I thought I should run. I am still baffled as to why I thought I should do this, but I did. I'm pretty sure it's just because teenagers logic totally sucks and their brains aren't fully developed.

Like I said, people were starting to run for Student Body Government positions. I decided VERY last minute to run for Student Body Historian. This job would require poster making, photography, and scrapbooking skills mainly. I know, SO awesome, who wouldn't want this job? Well, as it is commonly known I was NOT a good student in high school and all the candidates had to have a certain GPA and attendance record. I don't remember the details but somehow I found out last minute that I could still qualify. I had to get all my teachers to sign a paper saying they approved of me running. I distinctly remember having difficulties getting my history teacher, Mr. Smith, to sign my paper. He DESTESTED me. I still do not know why, but he seriously, seriously hated me. I don't even remember how I got him to sign it, but somehow the paper was signed. I was able to turn my application in the day everything was due. The next day was the SBO assembly. For this assembly, I had to come up with a skit. I know, skit equals embarrassing, and magnified when in front of the entire student body. I also had to make posters and come up with a slogan for this. I actually think I had 2 or 3 days to do this now that I think about it, but still, hardly any time at all. Through all of this craziness I never stopped to think about whether I might actually win. Had I stopped and really thought about this, I could have saved myself a world of embarrassment. My slogan I came up with was "Life in the Fast lane". Don't know what the hell that had to do with anything, but that was my slogan. Something about living senior year in the fast lane. Whatev. I made my posters and put them all over the school, forced my friends to be in my skit, and we practiced like the night before, and I stayed up the entire night making a stupid banner. Since the whole weird fast lane thing was my apparent theme, I used a Limp Bizkit song that had the phrase "life in the fast lane in it". The skit involved Razor Scooters, that embarrassing song, and my friends and I wearing biker clothes. I still owe my friends SO SO much for subjecting themselves to the same humilation, although I was way more embarrassed because my NAME was attached to all of this. Our auditorium has 3 or 4 lanes that go in between the sections of seats. My friends and I started at the back of the auditorium and when the music started rode our scooters done the aisles, down to the front. Then, as I recall we did some kind embarrassing Razor Scooter routine. It's hard to convey the embarrassment of this experience. I can't even believe I was able to type all of this. I don't think I've been able to verbalize this story since it happened.

Well, elections happened that day or something and big surprise, I didn't win. I cried when I found out I didn't win, but I don't feel bad for my past self at all. Helloooo, you were wearing biker clothes, riding a scooter, and had Limp Bizkit playing for crying out loud! Plus, you weren't even that popular. Sorry, but you weren't.

Oh the joys of reliving past trauma. I hope you all enjoyed this little journey into my past. I'm really glad most of you weren't there to see the real thing.

9 comments:

Seth said...

I want everyone to know that Heidi has refused to tell me this story for the past two years. I don't know what it says about human interactions that she is finally able to post it on her blog, but I'm really proud of her for getting this out. I think the bad dreams and sleepless nights may finally be over.

Melanie Herway said...

Great story, too funny. If only we could tell teenagers now what we learn from high school, and how it's not the end of the world.

Anonymous said...

Your stories and memories are the most entertaining part of my day! I love it. That was very brave of you to post. I still have a hard time reliving my most embarrassing moments!

Karen said...

If it makes you feel any better I can't remember your skit in the least bit. In fact I don't think I can remember any of them...and I was in one! I remember bits and pieces but nothing really sticks out! But I disagree about highschool...I LOVED it! All of it! Sure there were hard times, but that's what I look back on with fond memories.

natalie said...

Haha. Ah, high school. Funny how a few months after leaving all the sudden none of it is important anymore.
When everyone was doing those letters to themselves at 17, all I could think was I wouldn't even have listened to my future self when I was 17! Plus by the time I was 17, it was too late for me to change. :)

Heidi said...

Karen, thank you for not remembering my skit. Although, that further illustrates my point of why the heck was I running for anything. Ha! And to clarify, I did enjoy high school, I just realize now that life does go on after high school.

La said...

That is the best story ever!!! LOL! I am so not ready to be back in high school. I think the memories would be too much to bare.

Herways Go West said...

Wow, brave girl to admit all those insecure feelings of a high school kid. What I think is a hoot is going back for a high school reunion and then all those past feelings come roaring back. It's weird, weird. My kids will never have a reunion though, poor things.

RyanandHailee said...

Okay!
Seriously what were you thinking???
Making all of us look absolutely ridiculous! J/k
It just made me laugh for a few minutes! I guess that is what friends are for!