8.15.2007

Happy Birthday Dad!

I realize I'm a day early on wishing my dad a happy birthday, but we will be traveling on his actual birthday. I wish I had a picture of my dad to post too, but that will have to come later.

I seriously have THE BEST DAD in the world,I know that everyone says that about their own dad, but seriously, mine's the best. Other people, non-family members, even tell me how lucky I am to have such a great dad. I am so grateful to have been raised in a home where I knew my dad loved me, my siblings, and my mom, unconditionally. I always knew I could talk to my dad about anything and that he would always, listen, be patient, be empathetic,and understanding.

Growing up in a house with my dad was a lot of fun. I remember Sai-Soo (however you would spell that), Doggie-Doggie Find That Bone, The Tiger on the Stairs,"Help,Friends,Cousins,come quickwee!", Bow-Wow-Ski-Whatindoddle, and Knee Football. My dad had nicknames and still keeps coming up with nicknames for everyone.
His nicknames never really make any sense but I think everyone gets excited when they get one. :)He's very creative and I've always loved hearing stories,songs he's changed the words to, new nicknames, slogans he's come up with, jingles he's made up, and the different voices he uses. I think he's pretty funny too.

Through my dad's example, I've learned that it's important to always listen to both sides of the story and to not be quick to judge. While my dad was bishop of our ward I would notice him at youth activities always talking to the kids who didn't have many friends in the ward. He's a friend to everyone. It seems like everyone is instantly attracted to my dad and likes him right off the bat.

When I was in high school, I got grounded, A LOT! It was my own dumb fault of course, but at the time I thought it was totally and completely unfair. I remember I would cry and feel way sorry for myself, and my dad would be in the same room as me and I could tell he was trying not to laugh. I hated it at the time, but he would make me laugh too because I would realize how ridiculous I sounded. Now, I really like that quality about my dad though, he never makes things more dramatic than they need to be, and doesn't take life too seriously. He doesn't sweat the small stuff.

My dad is super generous with his time,services,and money. He's mentioned to our family before how he wishes he could give us more. I always feel bad when he says that, because he has no idea how much he has truly given us.

My dad set a great example of how a husband and father should treat their family. In dating I always looked for someone with qualities like my dad.(Good news, I found a winner.)

This tribute doesn't even come close to describing how much my dad means to me. Dad, I think you're the best, funniest, nicest, most generous, loving, creative, patient, understanding, BESTEST man. Happy Birthday! I love you!

7 comments:

Kathleen said...

I couldn't agree more!!! You have the best Dad in the world!!!

La said...

What a great tribute to your dad. I hope he has a great day.

Colie said...

Sai-Soo, Doggie-Doggie Find That Bone, The Tiger on the Stairs,"Bow-Wow-Ski-Whatindoddle? Those games sound like fun!

Unknown said...

My mom gave me this link and I am so glad she did...we all love your dad!! You guys look like you are doing great :)

Herways Go West said...

I wonder if there is something in the name? I only know really great "Brent's". Happy birthday!

natalie said...

That is so cute. I hope he had a happy birthday.

Melanie Herway said...

What a great dad!!! So, has Seth been given a nickname yet?? If so, I'm curious to know what it is.