
Anna Olga Plepis Shaw, 86, passed away peacefully on March 10, 2013, surrounded by her family. She lived a long life full of love, service, teaching, learning, travel, adventure and so much more. She was the sweetest, strongest and most smiling woman we know.
Anna was born December 6, 1926, in Hanover Township, PA, to Lithuanian immigrants George Plepis and Dorothy Dubra. She was raised in Pennsburg, PA, and then attended George Washington University in Washington, DC, where she earned a bachelor's degree in Physical Education and was a member of Delta Gamma. She later earned a master's degree in Guidance Counseling from the University of Delaware.
She married Alan Alfred Shaw on September 17, 1950, in Philadelphia, PA, and together raised their family of three children in Claymont, Delaware. Anna was a PE teacher and then later, a guidance counselor. She retired to St. George in 1984 after the passing of her husband.
Anna was very involved in many community organizations, including the first president of the Democratic Women of Washington County and president of the St. George Historical Society. She served on the committee for the restoration of the Pioneer Courthouse and was very involved in the Art Community in Southern Utah, encompassing Art in the Park, the St. George Art Museum, and various art shows held at the Pioneer Courthouse. In addition, she managed publicity for the Institute for Continued Learning and the Southwest Guild, was involved in organizing and promoting the World Senior Games, was an active member of the American Association of University Women (AAUW), and volunteered at the DOVE Center.
Anna loved playing bridge and was very active in several bridge groups. She also loved to travel and literally traveled the world visiting every continent on various ElderHostel tours. She enjoyed swimming and competed in water ballet in college. She loved being around people and was a friend to all. Her greatest joys came from her children and grandchildren. She took great pride in their accomplishments and supported them in their goals and aspirations.
She is survived by her daughters Cynthia Lam and Kathleen (Brent) Bluth; nine grandchildren, and five great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband, Alan Alfred Shaw; her son, Michael Alan Shaw; her sister Hilda P. Murphy; her brother Herbert Plepis; and her son-in-law, Robert Lam.
_______________________________________________________________________________
The boys and I and headed out to St. George Saturday afternoon. We were able to see my grandma in the hospital for a couple of days before she passed. She was no longer on the machines that were helping her to breathe, but the doctors had her on medication to keep her sedated and comfortable. Monday evening, along with my mom, aunt, cousin Danielle, and cousin Nate, I was able to sit next to my grandma, rubbing her arm, as she took her last few breaths.
Like the obituary mentions, my grandma lost her husband almost 30 years ago and lost her only son, Michael, about 12 or so years before that. Thinking of their reunion the night she passed, gave me so much comfort. I had images in my mind, of the three of them hugging, kissing, laughing, and crying together. What a sweet reunion it must have been.
It was great to spend the week with my family and my cousins, going through my grandma's things and remembering her and learning things we never knew about her.
Even though I knew a few things from her obituary, I hadn't realized just how actively involved she was in her community, especially in her retired years. It's inspiring to me and makes me more motivated to be involved in my own community and to work harder at getting the nonprofit off the ground.
I loved spending the week thinking about my grandma and all the things I've learned from her, the characteristics I've inherited from her, and her qualities that I want to try to have.
We managed to fit in a little fun during the week when we took breaks from cleaning, sorting, and organizing my grandma's house.
 |
| Cousin Amy and Lukie. She was awesome. We had the best babysitters all week! |
 |
| Taft and his buddy Nate. Nate rocked this week. He helped out with my boys soooo much. |
 |
| Rock crushing contest. |
 |
| Grandma Shaw's famous apricot tree. As long as I can remember, my grandma has made apricot jam, every single year. |
 |
| Buzz boy. This momma's boy let me hold him for 5 whole minutes!! Well...his mom wasn't around, but still! |
The funeral was Friday and Taft's birthday was the next day. I really wanted to get home to celebrate his birthday with Seth, so right after the funeral, we as a family had a picnic in Snow Canyon before we left. We used to always have picnic's with my grandma, so we found it fitting to have one that day.
I'll miss my grandma dearly, but I am so grateful for her legacy and the wonderful family she has created!
6 comments:
:) thanks nog
Thanks for such a wonderful post about Grandma! It made me teary :( We are all so fortunate to have had her influence in our lives.
I love all of the photos of you, the boys and the cousins. LOVE IT!
Thanks again for all of your hard work helping organizing Grandma's things. You worked so hard and I really appreciated it.
Thanks for this, Nog. Great tribute.
What an amazing woman! Thanks for sharing, and I've always thought you were amazing, now I know who you take after :)
I think it's cool that she was active with ElderHostel Tours. I've heard about them. I only met her at your wedding but her warm personality shown through even in that short time.
She will be missed. I bet that reunion with her loved ones was/is wonderful!
Post a Comment