10.02.2011

Just Something I've Been Thinking About

(i really, really wish i remembered where i found this)

You guys, I've been working on something revolutionary: Not turning into a psycho, grumpy, cleaning Nazi wife/mom when my house looks like a dump. What's that? That's really not revolutionary? Well it is for me. 

I saw this quote a while back and I've been trying to remember it. I have kids, and I'm going to have even more kids one day (hopefully), and let's face it kids are professional mess-makers and wrecking crews. Whenever I do get my apartment cleaned (yes, all 900 sq. feet of it) it stays clean for about 1.7 seconds. Instead of letting this make me totally un-fun and a cleaning lunatic who makes everyone hold still for an hour just so we can enjoy the cleanliness, I've decided to accept my life of living in a pig sty. Ok, not a pig sty (all of the time) but definitely not an apartment that could be photographed and posted on some blog for all the world to see and make others feel guilty that their house isn't as perfectly decorated, thrifted, crafted, and designed as well as mine.

My Google Reader is out of control with photography/crafting/interior design/cooking/party planning blogs that I am subscribed to and then there's Pinterest (which I do love). I was telling Seth that reading all of these blogs is making me feel like a loser. He basically didn't have any sympathy for me and in a really nice way told me to get a life. :) He reminded me that comparing myself to others (real or fake people (blogs) ) is not good to do at all. Then I listened to President Uchtdorf's talk from the Relief Society broadcast and that made me remember that I actually have a life and a really good one too. I have a real life that consists of days full of playing with kids, bathing kids, feeding kids, trips to the park, trips to the grocery store, trips to the beach, playdates with friends, changing diapers, potty training, dinner making, and pillow-talking. A real life.

I have to remember that the aforementioned blogs I read are people's jobs. They are spending lots of time perfecting each post, publishing only the best pictures, and although they made, photographed, and packaged perfectly shaped and colored macaroons for all their neighbors, they left out the picture of themselves making them in their pajamas, mascara smears under their eyes, and bra-less. (At least that's what I imagine them to look like to make myself feel better). They are professional photographers, professional interior designers, etc. They have put lots of time into perfecting their skill and talents and instead of feeling like a loser because I don't have those talents, I really need to just admire them for their talents and continue working on and cultivating my own. 

The first step here is for me to cool it on the cleanliness of my house. Although, I have to admit, if we have company coming to stay there is still a good chance I might fall back into my old ways. Baby steps.  Seth mentioned earlier this week that our house has been a more enjoyable place to be and that all of us seem happier now that I've loosened my grip on the Windex bottle. Mission accomplished.




11 comments:

Jen and Jared said...

I was literally just talking to Jared about the same thing just a couple days ago. (He too was pretty unsympathetic.) I told him that I was thinking about cutting myself off from reading others blogs. I'm not looking at them for the right reasons anymore. It's not inspiring me, it's depressing me. I too am trying to relax a little and actually LIVE my life, which is pretty good. So amen, and good luck to us both. :)

La said...

I cleaned my reader out a few months ago and I have enjoyed my new found self-esteem.
Lastly, so, a, when you come to my house, doesn't it make you feel awesome about your well kept home?

Kathleen said...

What a great post! Very well said. I love that you are loosening your grip on the windex bottle. LOL.
You do have a great life and I'm glad that you recognize it.

Lanxie Jo said...

Love you shoogy! Don't mean to be a cheeseball but I really do look up to you and admire your family. Hopefully I can start to loosen up too :) even though there aren't any pictures of the boys in this post it's one of my favorites. Thanks!

Meg said...

Amen. I need to follow your example and not care so much about the cleanliness of the house, but let's get real....maybe if Mr. Miller would let us keep the dog outside ALWAYS it would make for a happier me and less mess!! I could deal with the kids mess, just not the dogs!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is one of those blogs to me ;) You are so amazing! If I were envying...which I dont (haha) I would envy your life, your family, and how ridiculously awesome you are!

P.s. Every time I make a visit to your blog... not often enough... I want babies, and I want them now.. poop stories and all :)

P.s.s. I miss you!

Herways Go West said...

Good for you Heidi. But I think you don't give yourself enough credit! And for the record, it's easier to make a place look cleaner when you have places to hide the messes... But one day you will and you'll miss your cute darling apartment that you have now! And your two wrecking crews are so dang thorough! Gotta love them for that!

Anonymous said...

Amen amen amen! A few months ago I had to cut out a bunch of blogs too because I was feeling like such a failure of a woman/wife/mother because of my lack of being able craft/sew/bake/photograph/embellish-everthing-in-sight. Learning to accept myself and my life for who I am is a process but it makes me so much happier. I loved Pres. Uchtdorf's message :) Funny how so many other women feel the same way. I had no idea!

natalie said...

Love that quote. Unfortunately I use it as my excuse, not my enabler. :/
I stopped looking at blogs/pinterest. One girl once blogged about how they went somewhere fun with her kids so she could post about it on her blog, and I thought, "Wait? So even your fun outings with your kids are just because you get paid to blog?" If there wasn't money involved, nobody's house/life would look like that!
Ok sometimes I do sneak back on pinterest.

Unknown said...

I think every mom especially LDS mom goes through this...just know that I look at your blog and think that you are just amazing :)

Colie said...

Yet again: you should become a professional writer. I just love reading your blog.